Our client, a federally licensed managing underwriting agent in the eastern portion of the GTA, is seeking an experienced Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter. Proficiency in French will be considered an asset, but it is not a requirement.
The Senior Commercial Lines Underwriter is a highly motivated, team-oriented individual who will contribute to a profitable book of business through sound underwriting decisions.
In this role, you will be responsible for ensuring delivery of a high level of customer service to our client’s Canada-wide broker network. You will have the ability to work independently, make critical underwriting decisions, find solutions to problems and be responsible for managing the service, profitability and growth of your portfolio. This will be accomplished through the implementation and maintenance of operational and underwriting discipline, guidelines, and the monitoring of underwriting and service execution.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Underwriting new business, renewals and endorsements for small commercial accounts, according to our client’s underwriting guidelines, authority limits
- Search for solutions to complex problems
- Seek approval/assistance as required
- Processing all assigned work promptly and accurately, as per our client’s Guidelines
- Working effectively within a team dynamic.
- Maintain knowledge of company and industry underwriting policies, procedures and standards.
- Respond to broker requests and inquiries on a timely basis, as per our client’s Guidelines
- Managing relationships with brokers
- Other miscellaneous duties as required
Specific Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Minimum seven years of Commercial Underwriting Experience, with emphasis on large, commercial buildings, builder’s risk and other complex commercial accounts
- University Degree
- FCIP or CIP/CRM Designation
- Thorough knowledge of policy wordings and limitations
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in risk selection
- Evaluate future loss potential
- Strong decision making skills and ability to bring creativity to underwriting risks
- Ability to lead a team and handle referrals by Junior Underwriters
- Ability to develop and maintain productive working relationships with peers, clients, and industry personnel
- Strong work ethic, good organizational skills and the ability to work within a team environment
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to explain results of your work to others in the industry
- Excellent computer skills